Tuesday, November 22, 2011

On the Sixteenth Day of Tesseracts: An Interview with Leslie Brown

I cannot believe that 16 days have gone by.  We hope you have enjoyed meeting some of the authors from Tesseracts Fifteen.  Joining us today from Ottawa is Leslie Brown.


TT: What is your name?

Leslie Brown: Leslie Brown

TT:  Where in Canada are you currently located?

Leslie Brown: Ottawa, Ontario

TT: What is the name of your story in T15?

Leslie Brown: The Windup Heiress

TT: Could you please share a summary of your story without spoilers?

Leslie Brown: My story is a futuristic retelling of the old fairy story The Goose Girl. Aliantha is on her way to an arranged marriage when her hired companion takes her place and forces Aliantha's co-operation. Aliantha, mute and resentful, must use all her skills to regain her rightful place. But does she really want it?

TT: What is the first sentence of your story?

Leslie Brown: When Aliantha Mercit was betrothed to Hasaidi Odi, no one actually consulted Aliantha on the matter.

TT: What do you love the most about this (or being in this) anthology?

Leslie Brown: The awesome cover and the good company of authors.

TT:  What is your main writing process?

Leslie Brown: A "what if" idea or part of a story plot will occur to me during my daily routine and if I'm quick, I'll record it somewhere before it vanishes underneath "What's for dinner?" or "What's that wet spot on the rug?". Then I'll ponder it and see if I can tease it out in my mind into something bigger and with enough to it to interest other people besides myself. After I have a rough outline in my head (usually done while walking the dog while he uses my distraction to eat disgusting things off the ground), I'm ready to try and put it on the computer. All too often I get down three quarters of the story and then grind to halt. The story will either get put away for a few months, or, if I'm lucky, I can workshop it with my writers' group and get a suggestion that appeals to me. Once completed, I'll find a market for it that needs it to be 2000 words less than what I have, so I will ruthlessly delete my immortal prose and usually end up with a tighter, snappier story.

TT: Thanks Leslie for joining us on the Sixteenth Day of Tesseracts.

No comments:

Post a Comment